Friday, March 13, 2015

Gregory Peck


During my summer of 1975 fellowship at WSB TV in Atlanta I met stars. I couldn't help feeling that meeting Gregory Peck that summer was like meeting Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird Bird.  Peck was just like you thought he would be - gracious, funny, generous, geniune. I worried after encounters with John Wayne that Peck would be another annoyed star going through the motions. Not so. He was just as you would have hoped. I suspect the Atticus Finch character was much like who he actually was. He seemed genuinely interested in the questions he was asked, gave generous answers even to the dopey ones, and was relaxed and in no hurry to be somewhere else. It was impressive to see someone so famous being right there with you while all the while your thinking "Captain Ahab, Atticus Finch, Horatio Hornblower, Jimmy Ringo, F. Scott Fitgerald, Douglas MacArthur. Tom Rath!"

No comments:

Post a Comment